Episcopal Diocese of Virginia
The Episcopal Church »  |  The Diocese of Virginia

History of St. John's Parish


St. John’s Parish was formed in 1699, with one of the two original churches located in the present town of West Point. In 1734 the two churches were consolidated in a new brick building constructed approximately 10 miles northwest of West Point on Route 30.

The parish flourished in the mid-18th century, with an active congregation which included Carter Braxton, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Following the Revolutionary War, the church disbanded and the colonial building was used by other denominations. The 1734 building is still standing and owned by the Trustees of St. John’s, West Point. It is now called Old St. John’s Church. The St. John’s Restoration Association, an interdenominational group, has guided the restoration of Old St. John’s. Annually, on the fourth Sunday in September, we hold a homecoming worship service at the colonial church, followed by lunch on the grounds. Old St. John’s is also available for services, weddings, meetings and special events, subject to approval by St. John’s clergy and the St. John’s Restoration Association.

St. John's congregation, within the town of West Point, began In 1879. The present site was acquired in 1882 and a small church was built there. That structure remains the core of the present-day church building.

Articles describing in more detail the history of "old" and "new" St. John's can be found using the links to the upper left.